We answer some commonly asked NDIS questions

Being on the National Disability Insurance Scheme (NDIS) can be complex and confusing as a participant. Getting on the Scheme is one battle – navigating it can be just as confusing and frustrating!

So, that is why we will try to answer a few more of your most common questions and try to help you along the NDIS path.

Can I get on NDIS if I am on a DSP?

A common question but an easy one to answer: The Disability Support Pension (DSP) is separate to the NDIS. If you are receiving the DSP, this does not mean you are automatically eligible for the NDIS. You will still need to check your eligibility and apply for the NDIS.

Similarly, if you receive NDIS funding, it will not impact any income support you receive, such as the DSP or Carer Allowance.

Find out more at https://www.ndis.gov.au/media/79/download?attachment

Will NDIS help me get an exercise physiologist or physio?

Active Ability tells us the NDIS is responsible for funding allied health and other therapy services related to a person’s disability. These therapies fall under the NDIS Capacity Building support budget.

Allied health services such as exercise physiology, dietetics and physiotherapy are funded under the Improved Health and Wellbeing and/or Improved Daily Living categories of your NDIS Capacity Building Supports budget.

If you have funds allocated to these categories, you can access these allied health support services.

If your current budget is allocated to other categories and you’d like to receive allied health services, you can make changes at your next plan review. Alternatively, you may be able to access an assessment and report utilising some funding from your Core Supports budget.

Why do I have to get an OT assessment?

If you are approved for NDIS funding, an occupational therapist (OT) may assess you for a Functional Capacity Assessment (FCA).

The NDIS can cover OT supports, including an OT assessment. OT is usually covered under the Capacity Building(CB daily activity) category of NDIS supports.

An NDIS OT functional assessment is a tool used by occupational therapists to determine whether an individual has a physical or mental disability. This determination may then lead to eligibility for services under NDIS.

Our friends at Better Rehab say your occupational therapist can then create a plan that is customised to your needs.

This plan incorporates a variety of techniques that will aid in improving your overall quality of life. These methods may include home modifications, therapies, or specialised equipment that can help individuals improve their daily living skills.

Find out more here.

What is the difference between NDIS-registererd business providers and non-registered providers and how does it affect me?

If you are a registered provider you can offer services to participants who are agency, plan, and self-managed, adhering to the price limits that are set within the current price guide.

If you are unregistered you can only offer services to participants who are plan and self-managed, adhering to the same price limits set out within the price guide.

The main difference being, unregistered providers are not allowed to offer services to participants who are agency-managed or to draw down on funding that may have been allocated as agency-managed within a participants plan.

Got more questions for the NDIS? Head to https://hearforyou.com.au/what-we-do/ndis-qa/

We’ve answered more NDIS questions – head to our website to check them out: https://www.developingauscommunities.com.au/news

Recent Posts

James’ Story – as told by his mum

A Cocoon House is a life transforming change